ALERT! - RECOVERY
April 11, 2002
PRAYER ALERT!— Today's Surgery:
Since the most recent weekly eye exam indicated that the baby's status level had progressed to a level 3 stage of ROP (Retinopathy of Prematurity), after discussing it with Josh and Noelle, William's doctors scheduled laser eye surgery today (this afternoon) to correct this condition and preserve his vision. Statistically speaking, they have been told that there is a 20% chance that the outcome of the procedure will be favorable resulting in preserving acceptable, good eyesight. The remaining 80% of outcome categories vary from minor to increased visual impairment, including a slight chance of a total loss of vision. However, without the laser surgery, there is near certainty of this level of ROP resulting in blindness. Since this is a time sensitive issue, it was most beneficial to proceed without further delay.
RECOVERY REPORT— Tuesday's Surgery:
We are exceedingly grateful for the countless prayers that were voiced on William's behalf for Tuesday's surgery. The neurosurgeons were pleased that they were able to accomplish their major objective of clearing the obstruction in the right ventricle. William is currently on the respirator again, receiving 55% oxygenation. Even though he has had dips in his blood gas levels, heart rate (bradycardia), and hematocrit, the neurosurgeon who attended him in yesterday's follow-up exam, was not alarmed, considering Tuesday's extensive surgery under a general anesthetic. However, some aspects of the baby's recuperation are taking longer than we had hoped and some had expected.
We recognize the LORD'S gracious hand of mercy on William, his parents, and the rest of the family. And part of God's mercy is the comfort we have in realizing that multitudes are praying for our baby as soon as the needs are learned. Once again, our heart of thanks to you for bringing these needs to the throne of God and His infinite grace...
We ask that you would please join us in prayer that:
a. the laser eye surgery would result in a favorable outcome, allowing William to enjoy good eyesight.
b. the baby would be weaned off the ventilator very soon, to prevent any possible compromise of the health of his lungs or eyesight.
c. all his vital systems would completely stabilize.
d. William would recuperate speedily and completely.
e. the Lord's grace would cover any potential pain both surgeries during recovery.
"The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles" (Psalm 34: 17).